Pronunciation: (tem'pur-it, tem'prit), [key]
1. moderate or self-restrained; not extreme in opinion, statement, etc.: a temperate response to an insulting challenge.
2. moderate as regards indulgence of appetite or passion, esp. in the use of alcoholic liquors.
3. not excessive in degree, as things, qualities, etc.
4. moderate in respect to temperature; not subject to prolonged extremes of hot or cold weather.
5. Microbiol.(of a virus) existing in infected host cells but rarely causing lysis.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.