Pronunciation: (ten), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/ten.html on line 75 [key]
1. a cardinal number, nine plus one.
2. a symbol for this number, as 10 or X.
3. a set of this many persons or things.
4. a playing card with ten pips.
5. Informal.a ten-dollar bill: She had two tens and a five in her purse.
6. Also called ten's place. Math.
a. (in a mixed number) the position of the second digit to the left of the decimal point.
b. (in a whole number) the position of the second digit from the right.
7. take ten, Informal.to rest from what one is doing, esp. for ten minutes.
amounting to ten in number.
the upper end of a rating scale, with 10 indicating the best or a perfect score: That new novel is wonderful—I'd rate it a 10.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.