Pronunciation: (ten'shun), [key]
1. the act of stretching or straining.
2. the state of being stretched or strained.
3. mental or emotional strain; intense, suppressed suspense, anxiety, or excitement.
4. a strained relationship between individuals, groups, nations, etc.
5. (not in current use) pressure, esp. of a vapor.
a. the longitudinal deformation of an elastic body that results in its elongation.
b. the force producing such deformation.
7. Elect.electromotive force; potential.
8. Mach.a device for stretching or pulling something.
9. a device to hold the proper tension on the material being woven in a loom.
to subject (a cable, belt, tendon, or the like) to tension, esp. for a specific purpose.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.