Pronunciation: (ter'ur), [key]
1. intense, sharp, overmastering fear: to be frantic with terror.
2. an instance or cause of intense fear or anxiety; quality of causing terror: to be a terror to evildoers.
3. any period of frightful violence or bloodshed likened to the Reign of Terror in France.
4. violence or threats of violence used for intimidation or coercion; terrorism.
5. Informal.a person or thing that is especially annoying or unpleasant.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.