Pronunciation: (&thslash;en), [key]
1. at that time: Prices were lower then.
2. immediately or soon afterward: The rain stopped and then started again.
3. next in order of time: We ate, then we started home.
4. at the same time: At first the water seemed blue, then gray.
5. next in order of place: Standing beside Charlie is my uncle, then my cousin, then my brother.
6. in addition; besides; also: I love my job, and then it pays so well.
7. in that case; as a consequence; in those circumstances: If you're sick, then you should stay in bed.
8. since that is so; as it appears; therefore: You have, then, found the mistake? You are leaving tonight then.
9. but then, but on the other hand: I found their conversation very dull, but then I have different tastes.
10. then and there, at that precise time and place; at once; on the spot: I started to pack my things right then and there. Also,there and then.
being; being such; existing or being at the time indicated: the then prime minister.
that time: We have not been back since then. Till then, farewell.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.