Pronunciation: (thim'bul), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/thimble.html on line 75 [key]
1. a small cap, usually of metal, worn over the fingertip to protect it when pushing a needle through cloth in sewing.
2. Mech.any of various similar devices or attachments.
3. Naut.a metal ring with a concave groove on the outside, used to line the outside of a ring of rope forming an eye.
4. a sleeve of sheet metal passing through the wall of a chimney, for holding the end of a stovepipe or the like.
5. a thimble-shaped printing element with raised characters on the exterior: used in a type of electronic typewriter or computer printer (thim'ble print"er).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.