Pronunciation: (thrift), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/thrift.html on line 71 [key]
1. economical management; economy; frugality.
2. Also called thrift' institu"tion. Banking.a savings and loan association, savings bank, or credit union.
3. Also called sea pink. any alpine and maritime plant belonging to the genus Armeria, of the leadwort family, having pink or white flowers, esp. A. maritima, noted for its vigorous growth.
4. any of various allied plants.
5. vigorous growth, as of a plant.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.