Pronunciation: (tī'dē), [key]
—adj., -di•er, -di•est,
—v., -died, -dy•ing,
—n., pl. -dies.
1. neat, orderly, or trim, as in appearance or dress: a tidy room; a tidy person.
2. clearly organized and systematic: a tidy mind; a tidy way of working.
3. tolerably good; acceptable: They worked out a tidy arrangement agreeable to all.
4. fairly large; considerable: a tidy sum.
to make tidy or neat (often fol. by up).
1. any of various articles for keeping things tidy, as a box having small drawers and compartments.
2. an antimacassar.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.