Pronunciation: (tī'gur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/tiger.html on line 75 [key]
—pl. -gers, (esp. collectively for 1, 2, 5) -ger.
1. a large, carnivorous, tawny-colored and black-striped feline, Panthera tigris, of Asia, ranging in several races from India and the Malay Peninsula to Siberia: the entire species is endangered, with some races thought to be extinct.
2. the cougar, jaguar, thylacine, or other animal resembling the tiger.
3. a person resembling a tiger in fierceness, courage, etc.
4. an additional cheer (often the word tiger) at the end of a round of cheering.
5. any of several strong, voracious fishes, as a sand shark.
6. any of numerous animals with stripes similar to a tiger's.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.