Pronunciation: (tīm'kē"pur), [key]
1. a person or thing that keeps time.
2. an official appointed to time, regulate, and record the duration of a sports contest or its component parts, as to give the official time of a race, assure that a round of boxing is ended exactly on time, or announce to football, basketball, hockey, etc., teams the amount of time left to play.
3. a timepiece: This watch is a good timekeeper.
4. a person employed to keep account of the hours of work done by others.
5. a person who beats time in music.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.