Pronunciation: (tOO; unstressed too, tu), [key]
1. (used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from): They came to the house.
2. (used for expressing direction or motion or direction toward something) in the direction of; toward: from north to south.
3. (used for expressing limit of movement or extension): He grew to six feet.
4. (used for expressing contact or contiguity) on; against; beside; upon: a right uppercut to the jaw; Apply varnish to the surface.
5. (used for expressing a point of limit in time) before; until: to this day; It is ten minutes to six. We work from nine to five.
6. (used for expressing aim, purpose, or intention): going to the rescue.
7. (used for expressing destination or appointed end): sentenced to jail.
8. (used for expressing agency, result, or consequence): to my dismay; The flowers opened to the sun.
9. (used for expressing a resulting state or condition): He tore it to pieces.
10. (used for expressing the object of inclination or desire): They drank to her health.
11. (used for expressing the object of a right or claim): claimants to an estate.
12. (used for expressing limit in degree, condition, or amount): wet to the skin; goods amounting to $1000; Tomorrow's high will be 75 to 80°.
13. (used for expressing addition or accompaniment) with: He added insult to injury. They danced to the music. Where is the top to this box?
14. (used for expressing attachment or adherence): She held to her opinion.
15. (used for expressing comparison or opposition): inferior to last year's crop; The score is eight to seven.
16. (used for expressing agreement or accordance) according to; by: a position to one's liking; to the best of my knowledge.
17. (used for expressing reference, reaction, or relation): What will he say to this?
18. (used for expressing a relative position): parallel to the roof.
19. (used for expressing a proportion of number or quantity) in; making up: 12 to the dozen; 20 miles to the gallon.
20. (used for indicating the indirect object of a verb, for connecting a verb with its complement, or for indicating or limiting the application of an adjective, noun, or pronoun): Give it to me. I refer to your work.
21. (used as the ordinary sign or accompaniment of the infinitive, as in expressing motion, direction, or purpose, in ordinary uses with a substantive object.)
22. Math.raised to the power indicated: Three to the fourth is 81 (34 = 81).
1. toward a point, person, place, or thing, implied or understood.
2. toward a contact point or closed position: Pull the door to.
3. toward a matter, action, or work: We turned to with a will.
4. into a state of consciousness; out of unconsciousness: after he came to.
5. to and fro. See fro (def. 2).
telegraph office. Also,TO
2. turn over.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.