Pronunciation: (tōst), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/toast.html on line 73 [key]
sliced bread that has been browned by dry heat.
1. to brown, as bread or cheese, by exposure to heat.
2. to heat or warm thoroughly at a fire: She toasted her feet at the fireplace.
to become toasted.
Pronunciation: (tōst), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/toast.html on line 102 [key]
1. a salutation or a few words of congratulation, good wishes, appreciation, remembrance, etc., uttered immediately before drinking to a person, event, etc.
2. a person, event, sentiment, or the like, in honor of whom another or others raise their glasses in salutation and then drink.
3. an act or instance of thus drinking: They drank a toast to the queen.
4. a call on another or others to drink to some person or thing.
5. a person who is celebrated as with the spirited homage of a toast: She was the toast of five continents.
1. to drink to the health of or in honor of; propose a toast to or in honor of.
2. to propose as a toast.
to propose or drink a toast.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.