Pronunciation: (toi'lit), [key]
1. a bathroom fixture consisting of a bowl, usually with a detachable, hinged seat and lid, and a device for flushing with water, used for defecation and urination.
2. a lavatory.
3. a bathroom.
4. See toilet bowl.
5. a dressing room, esp. one containing a bath.
6. the act or process of dressing or grooming oneself, including bathing and arranging the hair: to make one's toilet; busy at her toilet.
7. See toilet set.
8. the dress or costume of a person; any particular costume: toilet of white silk.
9. Surg.the cleansing of a part after childbirth or a wound after an operation.
10. Archaic.See dressing table. Also,toilette (for defs. 6, 8).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.