Pronunciation: (tOOl), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/tool.html on line 75 [key]
1. an implement, esp. one held in the hand, as a hammer, saw, or file, for performing or facilitating mechanical operations.
2. any instrument of manual operation.
3. the cutting or machining part of a lathe, planer, drill, or similar machine.
4. the machine itself; a machine tool.
5. anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose: Education is a tool for success.
6. a person manipulated by another for the latter's own ends; cat's-paw.
7. the design or ornament impressed upon the cover of a book.
8. Underworld Slang.
a. a pistol or gun.
b. a pickpocket.
9. Slang (vulgar). penis.
1. to work or shape with a tool.
2. to work decoratively with a hand tool.
3. to ornament (the cover of a book) with a bookbinder's tool.
4. to drive (a vehicle): He tooled the car along the treacherous path.
5. to equip with tools or machinery.
1. to work with a tool.
2. to drive or ride in a vehicle: tooling along the freeway.
3. tool up,to install machinery designed for performing a particular job: manufacturers tooling up for production.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.