1. to afflict with great bodily or mental suffering; pain: to be tormented with violent headaches.
2. to worry or annoy excessively: to torment one with questions.
3. to throw into commotion; stir up; disturb.
1. a state of great bodily or mental suffering; agony; misery.
2. something that causes great bodily or mental pain or suffering.
3. a source of much trouble, worry, or annoyance.
4. an instrument of torture, as the rack or the thumbscrew.
5. the infliction of torture by means of such an instrument or the torture so inflicted.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.