Pronunciation: (tôrk), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/torque.html on line 71 [key]
—n., v., torqued, torqu•ing.
1. Mech.something that produces or tends to produce torsion or rotation; the moment of a force or system of forces tending to cause rotation.
2. Mach.the measured ability of a rotating element, as of a gear or shaft, to overcome turning resistance.
3. Optics.the rotational effect on plane-polarized light passing through certain liquids or crystals.
4. Also,torc.a collar, necklace, or similar ornament consisting of a twisted narrow band, usually of precious metal, worn esp. by the ancient Gauls and Britons.
1. Mach.to apply torque to (a nut, bolt, etc.).
2. to cause to rotate or twist.
to rotate or twist.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.