Pronunciation: (tout), [key] Informal.
1. to solicit business, employment, votes, or the like, importunately.
2. Horse Racing.to act as a tout.
1. to solicit support for importunately.
2. to describe or advertise boastfully; publicize or promote; praise extravagantly: a highly touted nightclub.
3. Horse Racing.
a. to provide information on (a horse) running in a particular race, esp. for a fee.
b. to spy on (a horse in training) in order to gain information for the purpose of betting.
4. to watch; spy on.
1. a person who solicits business, employment, support, or the like, importunately.
2. Horse Racing.
a. a person who gives information on a horse, esp. for a fee.
b. Chiefly Brit.a person who spies on a horse in training for the purpose of betting.
3. Brit.a ticket scalper.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.