Pronunciation: (traj'ik), [key]
1. characteristic or suggestive of tragedy: tragic solemnity.
2. extremely mournful, melancholy, or pathetic: a tragic plight.
3. dreadful, calamitous, disastrous, or fatal: a tragic event.
4. of, pertaining to, characterized by, or of the nature of tragedy: the tragic drama.
5. acting in or writing tragedy: a tragic actor; a tragic poet.
6. the tragic,the element or quality of tragedy in literature, art, drama, etc.: lives that had never known anything but the tragic. Also,trag'i•cal.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.