Pronunciation: (trans"pu-zish'un), [key]
1. an act of transposing.
2. the state of being transposed.
3. a transposed form of something.
4. Genetics.the movement of a gene or set of genes from one DNA site to another.
5. Photog.the process of reversing the tonality of an image, as from negative to positive.
6. Math.a permutation of a set of elements that interchanges two elements and leaves the remaining elements in their original positions.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.