Pronunciation: (trans-vûrs', tranz-; trans'vûrs, tranz'-), [key]
1. lying or extending across or in a cross direction; cross.
2. (of a flute) having a mouth hole in the side of the tube, near its end, across which the player's breath is directed. Cf. end-blown.
3. (of an automotive engine) mounted with the crankshaft oriented sideways.
1. something that is transverse.
2. Naut.See web frame.
3. Geom.See transverse axis.
4. a city road that cuts through a park or other area of light traffic; shortcut.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.