Pronunciation: (trav'u-lur, trav'lur), [key]
1. a person or thing that travels.
2. a person who travels or has traveled in distant places or foreign lands.
3. See traveling salesman.
4. part of a mechanism constructed to move in a fixed course.
5. Textiles.(in ring spinning) a small metal device that moves rapidly around the ring and guides the yarn onto the revolving bobbin.
a. a metal ring or thimble fitted to move freely on a rope, spar, or rod.
b. Also called horse. the rope, spar, or rod itself.
7. Also,trav'eler cur"tain. Theat.a transverse curtain opened by being drawn from both sides of the proscenium.
8. (often cap.) Chiefly Brit.a member of any of a number of traditionally itinerant peoples of the British Isles and other English-speaking areas, including, in addition to people of Gypsy origin, autochthonous groups such as the speakers of Shelta. Also, esp. Brit.,traveller.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.