Pronunciation: (trend), [key]
1. the general course or prevailing tendency; drift: trends in the teaching of foreign languages; the trend of events.
2. style; vogue: the new trend in women's apparel.
3. the general direction followed by a road, river, coastline, or the like.
1. to have a general tendency, as events, conditions, etc.
2. to tend to take a particular direction; extend in some direction indicated.
3. to veer or turn off in a specified direction, as a river, mountain range, etc.: The river trends toward the southeast.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.