Pronunciation: (trip'ul), [key]
—adj., n., v., -pled, -pling.
1. threefold; consisting of three parts: a triple knot.
2. of three kinds; threefold in character or relationship.
3. three times as great.
4. Internat. Law.tripartite.
1. an amount, number, etc., three times as great as another.
2. a group, set, or series of three; something threefold; triad.
3. Also called three-base hit. Baseball.a base hit that enables a batter to reach third base safely.
4. Bowling.three strikes in succession.
1. to make triple.
2. Baseball.to cause to come into home plate by a triple: to triple a runner home; to triple a run in.
1. to become triple.
2. Baseball.to make a triple.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.