Pronunciation: (ug'lē), [key]
—adj., -li•er, -li•est.
1. very unattractive or unpleasant to look at; offensive to the sense of beauty; displeasing in appearance.
2. disagreeable; unpleasant; objectionable: ugly tricks; ugly discords.
3. morally revolting: ugly crime.
4. threatening trouble or danger: ugly symptoms.
5. mean; hostile; quarrelsome: an ugly mood; an ugly frame of mind.
6. (esp. of natural phenomena) unpleasant or dangerous: ugly weather; an ugly sea.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.