Pronunciation: (ul"tru-mon-tān', -mon'tān), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/ultramontane.html on line 73 [key]
1. beyond the mountains.
2. of or pertaining to the area south of the Alps, esp. Italy.
3. Rom. Cath. Ch.
a. of, pertaining to, or advocating ultramontanism.
b. of, pertaining to, or supporting the belief that the pope is the spiritual head of the Church in all countries.
4. (formerly) north of the Alps; tramontane.
1. a person who lives beyond the mountains.
2. a person living south of the Alps.
3. Rom. Cath. Ch.a person who supports ultramontanism.
4. (formerly) a person living to the north of the Alps.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.