Pronunciation: (un-kon'shus), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/unconscious.html on line 77 [key]
1. not conscious; without awareness, sensation, or cognition.
2. temporarily devoid of consciousness.
3. not perceived at the level of awareness; occurring below the level of conscious thought: an unconscious impulse.
4. not consciously realized, planned, or done; without conscious volition or intent: an unconscious social slight.
5. not endowed with mental faculties: the unconscious stones.
the unconscious, Psychoanal.the part of the mind containing psychic material that is only rarely accessible to awareness but that has a pronounced influence on behavior.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.