Pronunciation: (yOO'nu-vûrs"), [key]
1. the totality of known or supposed objects and phenomena throughout space; the cosmos; macrocosm.
2. the whole world, esp. with reference to humanity: a truth known throughout the universe.
3. a world or sphere in which something exists or prevails: his private universe.
4. Also called u'niverse of dis'course. Logic.the aggregate of all the objects, attributes, and relations assumed or implied in a given discussion.
5. Also called u'niver'sal set'. Math.the set of all elements under discussion for a given problem.
6. Statistics.the entire population under study.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.