Pronunciation: (un-nōn'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/unknown.html on line 71 [key]
1. not known; not within the range of one's knowledge, experience, or understanding; strange; unfamiliar.
2. not discovered, explored, identified, or ascertained: the unknown parts of Antarctica.
3. not widely known; not famous; obscure: an unknown writer.
1. a thing, influence, area, factor, or person that is unknown: the many unknowns in modern medicine; The director cast an unknown in the leading role.
2. Math.a symbol representing an unknown quantity: in algebra, analysis, etc., frequently represented by a letter from the last part of the alphabet, as x, y, or z.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.