Pronunciation: (un"pru-fesh'u-nl), [key]
1. not professional; not pertaining to or characteristic of a profession.
2. at variance with or contrary to professional standards or ethics; not befitting members of a profession, as language, behavior, or conduct.
3. not belonging to a profession; nonprofessional.
4. not done with professional competence, as a play staged or an opera performed by amateurs; amateurish.
5. Sports.nonprofessional (def. 2).
a person who is not a professional; amateur.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.