—n.up'dāt"), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/update.html on line 79 [key]
—v., -dat•ed, -dat•ing,
1. to bring (a book, figures, or the like) up to date, as by adding new information or making corrections: to update a science textbook.
2. Computers.to incorporate new or more accurate information in (a database, program, procedure, etc.).
3. to bring (a person, organization, etc.) up to date on a particular subject: The magazine article will update you on the international situation.
1. an act or instance of updating: to make an update in a financial ledger.
2. information or data used in updating.
3. an updated version, model, or the like.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.