—v., -rose, -ris•en, -ris•ing,
1. to rise up; get up, as from a lying or sitting posture.
2. to rise into view: As we approached the city, the spires of tall buildings uprose as if to greet us.
3. to rise in revolt.
4. to come into existence or prominence: Many calamities uprose to plague the people during the war.
5. to move upward; mount up; ascend.
6. to come above the horizon.
7. to slope upward: The land uprises from the river to the hills.
8. to swell or grow, as a sound: A blare of trumpets uprose to salute the king.
an act of rising up.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.