Pronunciation: (yOO'sij, -zij), [key]
1. a customary way of doing something; a custom or practice: the usages of the last 50 years.
2. the customary manner in which a language or a form of a language is spoken or written: English usage; a grammar based on usage rather than on arbitrary notions of correctness.
3. a particular instance of this: a usage borrowed from French.
4. any manner of doing or handling something; treatment: rough usage.
5. habitual or customary use; long-continued practice: immemorial usage.
6. an act of using or employing; use.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.