Pronunciation: (ut'mōst" or, esp. Brit., -must), [key]
1. of the greatest or highest degree, quantity, or the like; greatest: of the utmost importance.
2. being at the farthest point or extremity; farthest: the utmost reef of the island.
1. Also,uttermost.the greatest degree or amount: the utmost that can be said; The hotel provides the utmost in comfort.
2. the most or best of one's abilities, powers, etc.: He did his utmost to finish on time.
3. the extreme limit or extent: His patience was taxed to the utmost.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.