Pronunciation: (vam'pīur), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/vampire.html on line 79 [key]
1. a preternatural being, commonly believed to be a reanimated corpse, that is said to suck the blood of sleeping persons at night.
2. (in Eastern European folklore) a corpse, animated by an undeparted soul or demon, that periodically leaves the grave and disturbs the living, until it is exhumed and impaled or burned.
3. a person who preys ruthlessly upon others; extortionist.
4. a woman who unscrupulously exploits, ruins, or degrades the men she seduces.
5. an actress noted for her roles as an unscrupulous seductress: the vampires of the silent movies.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.