Pronunciation: (van-kOO'vur), [key]
1. George, 1758–98, English explorer.
2. a large island in SW Canada, off the SW coast of British Columbia. 410,188; 12,408 sq. mi. (32,135 sq. km).
3. a seaport in SW British Columbia, on the Strait of Georgia opposite SE Vancouver island. 396,563; with suburbs 1,135,774.
4. a city in SW Washington. 42,834.
5. Mount, a mountain on the boundary between Alaska and Canada, in the St. Elias Mountains. 15,700 ft. (4785 m).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.