Pronunciation: (vâr'ē-unt), [key]
1. tending to change or alter; exhibiting variety or diversity; varying: variant shades of color.
2. not agreeing or conforming; differing, esp. from something of the same general kind.
3. not definitive, as a version of part of a text; different; alternative: a variant reading.
4. not universally accepted.
1. a person or thing that varies.
2. a different spelling, pronunciation, or form of the same word: “Vehemency” is a variant of “vehemence.”
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.