Pronunciation: (vel'vit), [key]
1. a fabric of silk, nylon, acetate, rayon, etc., sometimes having a cotton backing, with a thick, soft pile formed of loops of the warp thread either cut at the outer end or left uncut.
2. something likened to the fabric velvet, as in softness or texture: the velvet of her touch; the velvet of the lawn.
3. the soft, deciduous covering of a growing antler.
4. Informal.a very pleasant, luxurious, desirable situation.
a. money gained through gambling; winnings.
b. clear gain or profit, esp. when more than anticipated.
1. Also,vel'vet•ed.made of velvet or covered with velvet.
2. Also,vel'vet•like".resembling or suggesting velvet; smooth; soft; velvety: a velvet night; a cat's velvet fur.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.