Pronunciation: (vī'brāt), [key]
—v., -brat•ed, -brat•ing.
1. to move rhythmically and steadily to and fro, as a pendulum; oscillate.
2. to move to and fro or up and down quickly and repeatedly; quiver; tremble.
3. (of sounds) to produce or have a quivering or vibratory effect; resound.
4. to thrill, as in emotional response.
5. to move between alternatives or extremes; fluctuate; vacillate.
1. to cause to move rhythmically and steadily to and fro, swing, or oscillate.
2. to cause to move to and fro or up and down quickly and repeatedly; cause to quiver or tremble.
3. to give forth or emit by, or as by, vibration.
4. to measure or indicate by vibration or oscillation: a pendulum vibrating seconds.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.