Pronunciation: (vin-yet'), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/vignette.html on line 73 [key]
—n., v., -gnet•ted, -gnet•ting.
1. a decorative design or small illustration used on the title page of a book or at the beginning or end of a chapter.
2. an engraving, drawing, photograph, or the like that is shaded off gradually at the edges so as to leave no definite line at the border.
3. a decorative design representing branches, leaves, grapes, or the like, as in a manuscript.
4. any small, pleasing picture or view.
5. a small, graceful literary sketch.
Photog.to finish (a picture, photograph, etc.) in the manner of a vignette.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.