Pronunciation: (vī'u-lunt), [key]
1. acting with or characterized by uncontrolled, strong, rough force: a violent earthquake.
2. caused by injurious or destructive force: a violent death.
3. intense in force, effect, etc.; severe; extreme: violent pain; violent cold.
4. roughly or immoderately vehement or ardent: violent passions.
5. furious in impetuosity, energy, etc.: violent haste.
6. of, pertaining to, or constituting a distortion of meaning or fact.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.