Pronunciation: (vizh'u-ner"ē), [key]
—adj., n., pl. -ar•ies.
1. given to or characterized by fanciful, not presently workable, or unpractical ideas, views, or schemes: a visionary enthusiast.
2. given to or concerned with seeing visions.
3. belonging to or seen in a vision.
4. unreal; imaginary: visionary evils.
5. purely idealistic or speculative; impractical; unrealizable: a visionary scheme.
6. of, pertaining to, or proper to a vision.
1. a person of unusually keen foresight.
2. a person who sees visions.
3. a person who is given to audacious, highly speculative, or impractical ideas or schemes; dreamer.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.