Pronunciation: (vīt'l), [key]
1. of or pertaining to life: vital processes.
2. having remarkable energy, liveliness, or force of personality: a vital leader.
3. being the seat or source of life: the vital organs.
4. necessary to life: vital fluids.
5. necessary to the existence, continuance, or well-being of something; indispensable; essential: vital for a healthy society.
6. affecting the existence, well-being, truth, etc., of something: a vital error.
7. of critical importance: vital decisions.
8. destructive to life; deadly: a vital wound.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.