Pronunciation: (vō'kul), [key]
1. of, pertaining to, or uttered with the voice: the vocal mechanism; vocal criticism.
2. rendered by or intended for singing: vocal music.
3. having a voice: A dog is a vocal, but not a verbal, being.
4. giving forth sound with or as with a voice.
5. inclined to express oneself in words, esp. copiously or insistently: a vocal advocate of reform.
a. vocalic (def. 1).
1. a vocal sound.
2. a musical piece for a singer, usually with instrumental accompaniment. Cf. instrumental (def. 6).
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.