Pronunciation: (vu-lOOt'), [key]
1. a spiral or twisted formation or object.
2. Archit.a spiral ornament, found esp. in the capitals of the Ionic, Corinthian, and Composite orders.
3. Carpentry.a horizontal scrolled termination to the handrail of a stair.
a. a turn or whorl of a spiral shell.
b. any of various tropical marine gastropods of the family Volutidae, many species of which have shells prized for their coloration.
5. the spiral casing surrounding the impeller of a volute pump.
1. having a volute or rolled-up form.
a. spirally shaped or having a part so shaped.
b. moving in a circular way, esp. if combined with a lateral motion.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.