Pronunciation: (vOO'dOO), [key]
—n., pl. -doos,
—adj., v., -dooed, -doo•ing.
1. Also,vodun.a polytheistic religion practiced chiefly by West Indians, deriving principally from African cult worship and containing elements borrowed from the Catholic religion.
2. a person who practices this religion.
3. a fetish or other object of voodoo worship.
4. a group of magical and ecstatic rites associated with voodoo.
5. (not in technical use) black magic; sorcery.
1. of, pertaining to, associated with, or practicing voodoo.
2. Informal (usually disparaging). characterized by deceptively simple, almost magical, solutions or ideas: voodoo politics.
to affect by voodoo sorcery.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.