Pronunciation: (wā'jur), [key]
1. something risked or staked on an uncertain event; bet: to place a wager on a soccer match.
2. the act of betting.
3. the subject or terms of a bet.
4. Early Eng. Law.a pledge to make good one's cause by the supporting oaths of others or by battle.
1. to risk (something) on the outcome of a contest or any uncertain event or matter; bet.
2. Hist.to pledge oneself to (battle) for the decision of a cause.
to make or offer a wager; bet.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.