Pronunciation: (wond), [key]
1. a slender stick or rod, esp. one used by a magician, conjurer, or diviner.
2. a rod or staff carried as an emblem of one's office or authority.
3. a slender shoot, stem, or branch of a shrub or tree.
4. a small applicator for cosmetics, usually having a brush at the tip: She applied the mascara with a wand.
5. U.S. Archery.a slat 6 ft. (183 cm) by 2 in. (5 cm) placed at a distance of 100 yd. (91 m) for men and 60 yd. (55 m) for women, and used as a target.
6. Also called wand reader. an electronic device, in the form of a hand-held rod, that can optically read coded data, as on a merchandise label or tag or the page of a book.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.