Pronunciation: (wôr'dn), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/warden.html on line 75 [key]
1. a person charged with the care or custody of persons, animals, or things; keeper.
2. the chief administrative officer in charge of a prison.
3. any of various public officials charged with superintendence, as over a port or wildlife.
4. See air-raid warden.
5. See fire warden.
6. (in Connecticut) the chief executive officer of a borough.
7. (formerly) the principal official in a region, town, etc.
a. (cap.) a traditional title of the president or governor of certain schools and colleges: Warden of Merton College.
b. a member of a livery company of the City of London.
9. Canadian.the head of certain county or local councils.
10. a member of the governing body of a guild.
11. a churchwarden.
12. a gatekeeper.
Pronunciation: (wôr'dn), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/warden.html on line 148 [key]
any of several pears having a crisp, firm flesh, used in cookery.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.