Pronunciation: (wosh'out", wôsh'-), Strict Standards: Non-static method FenSites::linkTo() should not be called statically in /site/html/dictionary/washout.html on line 71 [key]
1. a washing out of earth, gravel, etc., by water, as from an embankment or a roadway by heavy rain or by a flash flood.
2. the hole, break, or erosion produced by such a washing out.
3. Also,wash'-out". Aeron.a warp in an airfoil that gives a decrease in the angle of attack toward the tip. Cf. washin.
5. Informal.an utter failure.
6. Informal.a person who has failed a course of training or study: air force washouts.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.