Pronunciation: (wô'tur, wot'ur), [key]
1. a transparent, odorless, tasteless liquid, a compound of hydrogen and oxygen, H2O, freezing at 32°F or 0°C and boiling at 212°F or 100°C, that in a more or less impure state constitutes rain, oceans, lakes, rivers, etc.: it contains 11.188 percent hydrogen and 88.812 percent oxygen, by weight.
2. a special form or variety of this liquid, as rain.
3. Often, waters. this liquid in an impure state as obtained from a mineral spring: Last year we went to Marienbad for the waters.
4. the liquid content of a river, inlet, etc., with reference to its relative height, esp. as dependent on tide: a difference of 20 feet between high and low water.
5. the surface of a stream, river, lake, ocean, etc.: above, below, or on the water.
a. flowing water, or water moving in waves: The river's mighty waters.
b. the sea or seas bordering a particular country or continent or located in a particular part of the world: We left San Diego and sailed south for Mexican waters.
7. a liquid solution or preparation, esp. one used for cosmetic purposes: lavender water; lemon water.
8. Often, waters. Med.
a. amniotic fluid.
b. the bag of waters; amnion: Her water broke at 2 a.m.
9. any of various solutions of volatile or gaseous substances in water: ammonia water.
10. any liquid or aqueous organic secretion, exudation, humor, or the like, as tears, perspiration, or urine.
11. Finance.fictitious assets or the inflated values they give to the stock of a corporation.
12. a wavy, lustrous pattern or marking, as on silk fabrics or metal surfaces.
13. (formerly) the degree of transparency and brilliancy of a diamond or other precious stone.
14. above water, out of embarrassment or trouble, esp. of a financial nature: They had so many medical bills that they could hardly keep their heads above water.
15. break water,
a. to break the surface of the water by emerging from it.
b. Swimming.to break the surface of the water with the feet, esp. in swimming the breaststroke doing the frog kick.
c. Med.to break the amniotic sac prior to parturition.
16. by water, by ship or boat: to send goods by water.
17. hold water,
a. to be logical, defensible, or valid: That accusation won't hold water.
b. to check the movement of a rowboat by keeping the oars steady with the blades vertical.
18. dead in the water. See dead (def. 36).
19. in deep water, in great distress or difficulty: Their marriage has been in deep water for some time.
20. in hot water. See hot water.
21. like water, lavishly; abundantly; freely: The champagne flowed like water.
22. make water,
a. (of a boat) to allow water to enter; leak.
b. to urinate.
23. take water, (of a boat) to allow water to enter through leaks or portholes or over the side.
24. tread water. See tread (def. 12).
1. to sprinkle, moisten, or drench with water: to water the flowers; to water a street.
2. to supply (animals) with water for drinking.
3. to furnish with a supply of water, as a ship.
4. to furnish water to (a region), as by streams; supply (land) with water, as by irrigation: The valley is watered by a branch of the Colorado River. Our land is watered by the All-American Canal.
5. to dilute, weaken, soften, or adulterate with, or as with, water (often fol. by down): to water soup; to water down an unfavorable report.
6. Finance.to issue or increase the par value of (shares of stock) without having the assets to warrant doing so (often fol. by down).
7. to produce a wavy, lustrous pattern, marking, or finish on (fabrics, metals, etc.): watered silk.
1. to discharge, fill with, or secrete water or liquid, as the eyes when irritated, or as the mouth at the sight or thought of tempting food.
2. to drink water, as an animal.
3. to take in a supply of water, as a ship: Our ship will water at Savannah.
4. make one's mouth water, to excite a desire or appetite for something: The roasting turkey made our mouths water.
1. of or pertaining to water in any way: a water journey.
2. holding, or designed to hold, water: a water jug.
3. worked or powered by water: a water turbine.
4. heating, pumping, or circulating water (often used in combination): hot-water furnace; city waterworks.
5. used in or on water: water skis.
6. containing or prepared with water, as for hardening or dilution: water mortar.
7. located or occurring on, in, or by water: water music; water frontage.
8. residing by or in, or ruling over, water: water people; water deities.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.